Saturday, July 2, 2011

I already know your objective

I'm sure many of you already know that a performer resume is a lot different than a resume for a desk job. If that came as a surprise, this post and several upcoming ones will provide helpful advice.

I would say anywhere from 10-20% of performer resumes I receive have an "Objective" section at the top. These are always worthlessly generic: "I want to use my talents to obtain a role in a musical theatre production." Well, obviously. Even if you change this for every specific company/show or have a really well-written statement, it is still unnecessary. In fact, objective statements have also fallen out of fashion in traditional work resumes (though I know some old fashioned job search books and college career centers still recommend it). So, delete this section now, no matter what kind of resume you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment